This, sadly, will be the last update, or at least the last-for-a-longish-time time. Well: that's not quite accurate. I have a lot of edge-filling to do for season three--one-shot stuff to be added. And since I'm aching to give away prizes, there will be a post soliciting Mina fanworks (and prompts for Mina fanworks), so that in February you can all vote on who I'll be spending money on.
But it will be the last Mina-as-usual update for quite a while.
...I miss you all already. ;_;Warning: mina_de_malfois
is an affectionate satirical examination of online fandom. Some readers may not share this sense of humour; reader discretion is advised. mina_de_malfois
is for entertainment purposes only; mina_de_malfois
neither attempts nor achieves any notable degree of accuracy, and should therefore not be used as a source of information, let alone a reason to reinforce, say, glaring homophobia and gender biases.( Mina de Malfois and the End of Summer (part two) )
1. Thank you, Edward Bulwer-Lytton
2. It was Katharine Hepburn, playing Rose Sayer
3. Speaking of Mina's new fandom: go watch this
. Thanks to prettyh
for drawing my attention to that.
4. Apologies to ankaret
. I COULDN'T RESIST.
5. What's known as an in-joke, this is.
6. Such as, say, tossing the word "shemale" around because "that's the term used in the porn industry." To take a completely random example.
7. Fandom's two solitudes: those who want to squee, and those who want to have Important Discussions. Only not so solitude-y as all that, I suppose, since we all do both depending on mood. Still: I saw some interesting discussion around the whole "serious conversations are harshing my squee" thing recent-ish-ly, only I CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE. If anyone has links that sound pertinent, let me know and I'll thank you profusely and stick them in this footnote.
8. Trisha Hill stole her names from Patricia Gillikin, Patricia Lamb, and Matt Hills
. And then she lost the 's' off of Hills, apparently.
9. On a more cheering note, I've seen actual publishers' guidelines that Just Say No to people being "coffee-coloured" and etc. So perhaps the era of food descriptors is fading away.
10. In the real world, as opposed to the Minaverse, female fans get portrayed negatively in Supernatural
(which is a kind of real-world version of Occult
, I've heard). It's discussed here
, among other places--there are several good essays dealing with it, I've just linked to one of the ones I liked.
11. Ah, yes: the brain scientists. I can't even *begin* to pick one post to link you to, so I'm going to cheat and link you to just one of the excellent linkspam posts
that will in turn give you links to follow. The entire Ogi-saga, aka SurveyFail, is so bizarrely compelling you may well lose days reading posts via linkspam. I know I did.
of SurveyFail, Ray's stockings were inspired by this brilliant (and NOT AT ALL SAFE FOR WORK) piece of protest art
12. I know this isn't what most evolutionary psychologists argue. At all. I LIKE MY VERSION BETTER.
13. You know what makes for terrifying reading? Supernatural
kinkfic, that's what. And fandom secrets
even gets into it...